1.) It is vanity
2.) I’m too busy, I don’t have the time.
3.) Looking good always is expensive.
4.) I don’t care what anyone thinks.
5.) I’m just not interested.
And the list goes on.
While one or more of these reasons might make actual sense to some people (they don’t to me, guys. Sorry, not sorry) we fail to realize that looking well dressed and put together is not always for the fun of it. Agreed, not everyone has a flair for fashion. Not everyone will slay 24/7, 365. But what is it that makes you feel grooming yourself and putting effort into the way you look is not worth it?
In today’s blog post, I will give you guys reasons why looking your best at all times may probably be one of the best decisions of your life. (Yes, it’s that deep.)
Firstly, I will like to start by clearing a few misconceptions. Looking your best does not mean you have to wear new clothes everyday, neither does it mean you need to have a closet full of cute clothes. In simple terms, it means you put effort into your appearance by maintaining good personal hygiene, wearing neat, well pressed clothes that fit properly and wearing shoes that are not dirty. Now, let’s get down to it.
1. What you wear determines how people treat you: You might have heard it a few times that you should “dress how you want to be addressed”. There is no lie here. As sad as it may sound, people make their first judgement about you based on how you look. It’s just how the human brain works. This is why dressing trashy attracts the wrong type of men. This is also why dressing scruffily can make me mistake you for a groundnut seller. (No disrespect to groundnut sellers guys. I love groundnut as much as I love the people that sell it!) The way you dress can determine if the security man at the gate will not let you in for that interview OR if he will hail you, “welcome! Fine madam” and open the gate for you before you utter a word. Think.
2. How you dress changes what people hear you say: Yup! People simply cannot trust what you say when you can’t simply look neat. Let’s use a scenario here. Two men give you advice about life. One is dressed in sweatpants, a pair of dirty slippers that have probably never been dusted and a faded, sloppy t-shirt. The other guy is dressed in a crisp white button down shirt, clean black shoes, a pair of jeans and sunglasses. Whose advice are you most likely to take? Yeah…me too.
3. Your appearance can impact your career: Listen, no matter your profession, your appearance matters. If you look sloppy or outdated, employers are going to assume that your work is sloppy and outdated too.
4. How you dress determines your level of confidence: Let’s face it. Some people might forever be timid. But how you dress certainly affects your confidence level. Imagine going out in your pajamas and you end up in the midst of people who are well dressed and dazzling! You’d probably want to enter the ground.
5. Dressing up positively changes your mood: You know how you can just be home on a weekend, chilling in a comfy t-shirt and no makeup or bra on? Yeah. You feel so chilled and so lazy and any invite that comes for anything receives an automatic “NO”.You also know how when you’re slaying to the nines, you feel so gorgeous and you want the whole world to see you? You feel like you can take on anything?That’s exactly what I’m talking about!
I could go on and on about reasons why you should always dress your best but I’m trying to keep this post as short as possible! I hope you’ve enjoyed it so far and it encourages you to take charge of your appearance and your life today! If you’ve had any personal experience about how your appearance affected you positively or negatively, do start/join in a conversation in the comments!
As always, thank you so much for stopping by! x